Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Detroit What?!

Photobucket

I attended Wayne State University for I don't know how many years, I used to skate in Detroit, I try to be actively in Detroit and I have always been a huge sucker for the beauty and essence the city possesses. I have now been home from Traverse City for little over a month now and in that time period my appreciation for Detroit has ten-folded. I have been meeting more and more people that believe in this city like I do and I believe that signs of life are appearing. I am seeing more development occur, more aged buildings being knocked down or renovated and the overall attitude of Detroit is progressing. The fact of the matter is the country, the state of Michigan and most importantly the city of Detroit are in an economic debacle that this country has not seen since the 1930's. With the recent Kwame Kilpatrick episode that plagued our lives for the last ten months, a new interim mayor and now a young eager president elect, many people have reason to believe that the city of Detroit may once again flourish and become the city it once was. I am one of those people. There is so much raw potential and true passion that this great city has produced and keeps producing. I believe that we have a new generation of individuals that are willing to help make this city an intricate part of the United States. Detroiters are tough, while the country has been in a downfall for the last eight years, Detroit has been in a downfall for the last thirty plus years, we are used to a challenge. Detroit has been through thick and thin, but we are seeing old buildings renovated, world-wide events calling Detroit a home and the changes that go unheard of each and every day but we know they are there. It's cities like Cleveland and Pittsburgh that makes me believe that Detroit is capable of a renaissance. You can say what you want to say about the "D," but the mere fact is I am proud to call it home. This is a call to all artists, musicians, entrepreneurs and others that call Detroit home, now is the time to reestablish this city. Detroit has character and it's because of people like you that will help make the city once again thrive. Hold on Detroit the next few years are going to be exciting: we are going to see a new model of mass transit that Detroit has not seen in many years, a new look to the busiest United States/Canada border crossing, a newly expanded Cobo Arena, more movies being filmed here, the Final Four of college basketball, a new Quicken Loans headquarters and a new line of automobiles that will take the world by storm! I myself am a poster child for ADD, but I think now more than ever it's important to learn the word P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E.





"Trick for treat" - Neon Neon. Live at Glastonbury 2008.

No comments: